Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Yes, I'm still here!

I know it's been a long while and I should've upated this a billion years ago, but I figure now I actually have something to update you on. So after my 6 month mark in site (February 9th) I've finally done something successful in site, that is on a community level, and not just a personal one. Well, technically WE did four somethings successful... I'll explain.


Some of my closest volunteers consist of Laara, Jenny, and Andrew (who lives in a rural area that is technically part of my town, whether they want to admit it or not!) We ended up doing a three day camp in a rural part of Laara's town, a full day camp (including lunch) in Jenny's town, a two-day camp in Andrew's part of town, and ended summer camp season with a three day camp in Altos! Every camp was trying to give the kids something fun to do over their summer break while educating them a bit about the environment and the importance of taking care of the environment. Because I'm selfish, I'm just going to explain the highlights of my camp :)

Age Range: 6-14 years old


Participation: 35ish students daily

First Day:

We talked about TREES



-we all planted Cedro seeds in recycled milk boxes (20 or so of which came from my house, because I drink an insane amount of milk) and talked about the how to take care of them and they all took them home with them



-We had a theatre group perform a skit about DENGUE which involved General Fly and Dr. Clean hahahaha, I have a little on tape that I will try to upload!

Second Day:
We talked about ANIMALS


- we made bird masks that the kids were able to take home



- I started talked about the food pyramid until I basically got booed off stage (I consider that a highlight! a learning experience haha)


-played the deforestation game, which is always a hit :) (Some people are trees, animals, and humans, and we see what happens to the animals when the humans cut down all the trees)

Third Day:
We talked about TRASH and it's affect on the environment

- We did the decomposition line activity--they each have a peice of trash and they have to place it on the time line to show how much time it takes that peice of trash to decompose.

- We talked about ways to REUSE their peices of trash, since recycling isn't really an option here..and reusing is better anyways.

Everyday we sang songs in Guarani and Spanish and played games to get them up and moving!

No comments: