Monday, May 31, 2010

The real work begins...

So you might be thinking, what are you talking about, you only have 10 months left.... Yes, this is true, but today the municipality finally gave us the key to the library locale, so we are moving in and we are moving full force ahead! Tonight we will have our first library committee meeting in the library and there is much work to be done. Obviously, I have been keeping myself busy with various side projects but this is my biggest project and where my heart is so I can't wait to get started!

Main things to get done ASAP:
-Secure the locale with new locks and new electrical fixtures
-Paint the inside of the building
-Catalog books
-Turn in more donation solicitations
-Plan the inauguration of the library
-Talk to the candidates for mayor in this coming election to garner support :)

I can't believe I have so much to do with so little time left. We have big plans once the library is up and running to work hard to integrate the institution into the community and really make it an active part of Altos. Instead of having dusty books in a room, we want the library to be a place where there is movement, meetings and cultural events. We hope to do this by working together with the other organizations in the community, such as the women's center and the schools.

Overall, I really hope we can help nurture creativity, a love for reading, and learning in general. There are so many kids here with so much potential to be tapped :)

No comments: