Friday, June 6, 2008

I wanted to upload photos....

but I can´t because the computers are too slow.. but I¨ll try to make them smaller so it won´t take as long.

It`s unfortunate because my latest picture is of a bug that looks like a fly but is the size of my hand!! it´s gross! today it is really hot even though it is supposed to be further into winter than when we arrived, but apparently the cold and then hot temperature changes are very common for Paraguay! If I had to guess I´d say it´s 85 and the humidity os at 92 percent, according to my profe.

Here is some more info from my Journal-

Last night I really felt like I was a part of the family. Everyone calls me Tia (aunt) Julie and I took care of the baby and it was really nice. I hope that my Spanish can get better and my Guarani so that I can get more of what they are saying, as well as a lot of the jokes.

Today we did a tour of everyone’s houses and I was surprised to see basically everyone’s house was nicer than mine and I thought I had it good! Everyone is so hospitable and everyone invited us in to eat and drink something and by the end of the tour I couldn’t eat or drink anything else. That is until we got to my house and I had a café con leche. One house had a pig that wasn’t full grown and it was soo nice. I’m glad I don’t have that at my house because I would feel bad eating it later. I already feel bad about eating the chickens that run around the house. There was one on the kitchen table today, which made it seem like it was just asking to be eaten. I’ve never eaten more meat in my life. Hot dog for breakfast, carne asado (I’m not sure what it is.. ribs?) for lunch, chicken for dinner. We also had this food called chipaguas’y.. That would be my guess on how to spell it, but it was really yummy. Basically a type of corn blended with onions, eggs and cheese… it was kind of like corn bread and kind of like Tortilla in Spain. J I went to church tonight and it was pretty interesting. It actually was a Catholic church and it was pretty and big, especially for this little town. The father of the church was from Poland and he spoke a bit of English. Mano walked me there because I didn’t want to go alone, he is a very helpful 13 year-old, and sometimes they aren’t that helpful at that age. He said something that struck me, “no hay reglas en Paraguay”… there are no rules in Paraguay, which is something that seems simple, but it really hit me for various reasons based on various things I have encountered here.


That´s all for now !!
I would draw a smiley but I can´t find the right keys!

No comments: