Thursday, August 21, 2008

Photos from my site

A really nice home right next to the plaza. In Paraguay it is very popular to paint the bottoms of the trees white. People say it´s just because it looks good but I have a feeling it´s also because it keeps the ants from making their huge ant piles up against the trees... another hypothesis yet to be confirmed.
Some of the many Orchids we have in my backyard. There are soo many flowers in Paraguay! And I hear they are soo many more in the summer!

This is the lovely ant tube in my bedroom. The ants constructed it within a day and if you get close to it you can hear them walking around inside. When I first noticed it I told my host dad and he broke off a part of the tube and concluded that it was old and that they would clean it up tomorrow, but when he left to go to bed, ants began to pour out of the tube and started to reconstruct the part that he broke off. The next morning it was all fixed, but I´m still waiting to get the poison to kill them.
This ride was for our fiesta patronal. This one makes me laugh because their is nothing electronic involved. The guy who is standing up on the platforms just pushes the animals so they move in a circle.
The Ferris Wheel and behind it are these traveling toy shops that set up shop in our plaza for a couple weeks during our fiesta.
This is host mom and I at a party at her mother-in-laws house for a party for "children´s day"

They had all these games for all the kids and they even had one of the blow-up rings where the kids all jump around inside.

This is for you Granddad. I went to the swearing-in ceremony for the governor of my state and they had a performance of traditional harps and guitars.

This is the living room of my somewhat luxurious new home.




The church in my town




1 comment:

uberbaldy said...

those flowers. . . .